Tuesday, April 28, 2009

London

Soooooo, I'm here...and it's amazing. The keyboards are wierd here....so sorry in advance for any weird misspellings haha. The flight from Cincinnati was long but I was able to sleep for most of it. We got here around 9am....1am your time lol. Driving into London I was in shock and how different everything was from in the States. Outisde of London, everything looks just like it does in "Babe"...you know the movie about the pig? it's so cute haha. Today we walked around the Parliment Building (the most beautiful building ever!) and saw Buckingham Palace (not really all it's cracked up to be). We walked thorugh St. James Park which is beautiful. There are tons of little parks here that are so cute! Just like the ones in Notting Hill, if you've ever seen that movie. After our walk we checked into the Hostel and then my friends and I headed out for a little adventure. We are staying right near the Victoria Line Station so we went there and bought metro tickets...it was a little intense...but we figured it out after a few tries haha. For dinner I bought a chicken and vegetable pasty...it's like a hand-held chicken pot pie...so good! After eating we got on the metro and headed to St. Paul's cathedral. It's the same cathedral where they sing "Feed the Birds" in Mary Poppins...so we had our own little musical party. The cathedral is huge and you can see it from everywhere! Then we walked to The Globe Theater, a replica of the theater that Shakespear's plays were originally performed in. We had some time before the show started so some of us walked around down random streets to see what we could find. We found this awesome street thing that was lined with cute little restaurants and a huge hat store. Then we went and saw "Romeo and Juliet" at the globe....it was amazing! We were standing right in front of the stage. The actors were way good and the show was really good. I didn't stay for the whole thing because I was exhausted and really gross from being on planes/shuttles for over 24 hours. So my friends and I headed home. Tomorrow we are headed to the British Museum and the Tate Modern! And then I get to see Phantom of the Opera! I'm soso excited. London is a beautiful city and I can't wait to come back again to explore more!
Love you all!
Rachel

1 comment:

Meg and Joe said...

OH! Your post brought me back to my London days and all my favorite things about the town! The Globe is one of my favorite places in the whole world. And good job on getting a pasty. They are delish! Don't miss going to a pub and getting fish and chips. Oh man, I am jealous. I miss London!