Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I built my first pinhole camera this past week and I think I have fallen in love all over again.  First of all, it's made out of an Ovaltine can...my favorite food ever.  Second, I missed being in the darkroom.  I spent about four hours in there on Saturday and I loved every minute.  It almost broke my heart when I had to leave.  I loved experimenting with different exposure times and finally discovering what worked.  Figuring out how to get the images focused was a problem at first, but in the end, the images are beautiful.  They are black and white of course, but who knew you could get such distinct values out of a little hole poked in the the bottom of a can.  I'm seriously considering doing this for my BFA...we'll see :)  Anyway, I have to scan the images later this week for a presentation...so you will see them soon.  Excited?

Having Julia up here with me at school has been one of the best things ever!  We had a Sister's Saturday this weekend and it was a blast.  We hung out, cut eachother's hair, had a photoshoot, and went to a play.  Here are some of Julia's pictures I took.  I had her dress up in a dance outfit and took her over to the auditorium.  She was so fun to photograph.


p.s...I hope these pictures look ok on here...they look great on Ben's computer but they look terrible on mine.

2 comments:

Caitlin Lewis Johnson said...

Rashelll these photos are amazing!! Your little sister looks like a little arepostale model in the first one :)

I hope you are doing wonderful!

love ya

Anonymous said...

Rachel! Its julia. Can you post more? and Im sorry I look so terrible on your computer...tee hhe.